Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sunday Special


If you have noticed, there were no post last whole week. That's because...I didn't really cook anything interesting last week. Well, the week started off with my son having fever and I couldn't make my weekly trip to the market.

A normal Sunday will start with marketing and a few hours of preparation for the weeks meals. It makes life easy especially when my son wakes up early and during those absolutely rushed moments. 
  • Things like coriander, curry leaves and lime leaves are not only easy to use but last longer when stored in zipper bags.
  • Didn't I mention turmeric paste is a must-have. I'll grind the paste enough for a week and freeze it.
  • Chili paste is also used almost everyday as my husband need to have something spicy to spice up his meal. So, another paste goes into the freezer.
  • Ginger is used in every meal and I prefer it shredded as it releases more flavor. Using a food processor, I shred the ginger and store it in a glass jar and fill it with olive oil. The olive oil will retain the taste of ginger. When frying veges, just add the ginger with a little oil from the jar. Just make enough to last for a week.
  • Cashew nut paste will also last in the freezer. Store it in advance as it takes time to be prepared for each meal.
  • Yogurt is a great companion and must-have in vegetarian meal. Home made yogurt can last fresh in fridge for weeks. Make extra if you have idea of make lassi during the week.
  • A typical Indian meal consist of at least 3 dishes. Not everyone can afford to do that everyday. Have pappads and more molega fried and stored in air-tight containers.
  • Another dish I make weekly is vegetarian version of 'ikan bilis tumbuk' which I store in a glass jar and leave it on the kitchen counter. Whenever there is nothing spicy in the menu, this is the solution. I'll post the recipe soon.
This is all I need for a weeks meal. After all, I'm a housewife and I have time for other stuffs to be prepared fresh. Think of other ingredients that you'll need to go with your meals and prepare it in advance especially if you are working. 

Happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment