Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Butternut squash

This is a butternut squash recipe but I don't know what to call it because mom never gave it a name. All I know is, this is how squash is cooked at home. Only this way. Squash was never used in any other dish. Not that I'm complaining. This is the way I like it! Yes, I love it. I pair it with sambar, sothi or rasam.

A word of caution: this dish taste sweet. What else can you expect? Squash is sweet. Anyway, those with no sweet tooth, add up on the chili powder.

INGREDIENTS
  • Butternut squash, peeled & cubed - 2 cup
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Asafoetida - a pinch
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • Dry red chili - 2
  • Chili powder - 1 tsp
  • Brown sugar - 1 tbsp
  • Salt - to taste
METHOD
  1. Heat oil in a wok and add cumin and mustard seeds.
  2. When they splutter, add asafoetida, curry leaves and dry chilies.
  3. Then add the cubed squash, give a good stir, sprinkle some water and cover.
  4. When its half cooked, add chili powder, brown sugar and salt and stir.
  5. Sprinkle more water, cover n let it cook till its mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment